Re: GUI file dialog freeze

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: GUI file dialog freeze
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 19:25:17 +0200

On 21.05.2013 11:18, Thorsten Liebig wrote:
> I have a strange problem with the Octave GUI on Kubuntu 13.04 and it already
> existed on Kubuntu 12.10
>
> If I want to open or save a file, the file dialog and Octave freezes.
> At the same time I get this message in the Octave terminal:
> "KGlobal::locale(): Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a
> valid main component instead of a fake component, this usually means you
> tried to call i18n related functions before your main component was created.
> You should not do that since it most likely will not work"
> But this seems not necessarily related to the freeze (see below)
>
> If I wait a couple of minutes, I get on the Octave terminal:
> QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
> QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
>
> After this two messages, I can browse the files normally and open/save.
>
> But this two processes that got killed seem to be important, because after
> this Octave behaves strange...
> E.g.: Sometimes the entire GUI freezes or at least doesn't get updated if a
> script is running...
> If I'm patient again, I get again:
> "QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running."
> And the GUI unfreezes again...
>
> I tried a fresh Kubuntu 13.04 on a virtual machine and did *not* see this
> problems, except the "KGlobal::locale()..." message, but no freezes... :(
> And to make this even more weird. I have been seeing this problem on my
> machine at work for a long time (>half a year) but had no time to look closer,
> but recently my home machine got infected as well :(
>
> I have no idea how to debug this problem or what is causing it...
>
> Does anybody else have this issues?
> Any ideas?

We have already got a bug report some time ago
(https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?38305) but without a response
to our requests for more info. Therefore it was closed.

Here the three related questions from Rik and me:
- What language is configured in the settings dialog? Does the freeze
occur with en_US, too?
- Does the settings dialog cause this freeze, too?
- Does Octave actually crash, as in a segmentation fault and a return to
the shell prompt? Or is the first File Dialog window slow to open, but
subsequent dialogs are fine?

Torsten