Re: Classdef for next release

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Classdef for next release
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 09:48:11 -0700

On 07/30/2013 09:21 AM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 30 July 2013 12:17, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'd also recommend waiting.  I think we already have more than enough
>> changes to make 3.8 an interesting release.  Bumping the major version to
>> 4.0 also seems like a good point to introduce things like classdef which
>> are rather more revolutionary than the incremental changes within the
>> current 3.X branch.
> The GUI is hardly incremental, though. That's our most-requested
> feature and the most obvious giant change in the next release.
I agree, but I thought we were doing a 3.8 release which was not going to
feature the GUI and then a 4.0 release some time after that which would.

> I think 4.0 with GUI and 4.2 with classdef seem like good goals, both
> in feasibility and in marketing terms, as long as we're marketing with
> version numbers.
This seems about right.  Even if we are skipping 3.8 and going directly to
the 4.0 release it seems a touch early to introduce classdef support.
There will be a mess of bug reports surrounding the GUI I'm sure and adding
classdef expectations seems a bit much.

--Rik