Re: extra head

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: extra head
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 16:34:54 -0400

On 16 August 2013 14:42, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
> Version 1.8.4.

This is a fairly old version. Although this is the version in which
bookmarks were introduced, it doesn't handle them as nicely as latter
versions. You can do "hg pull -B @", I think, to get the @ bookmark
from Savannah. In later versions (2.3, I think), it's obtained by
default, and in 2.4, it's the bookmark that a new clone is updated to.

The bookmark is just a convenience for indicating which head is the
main Savannah head. It's just a pointer that follows you as you create
commits or as you pull from Savannah. If you both commit and you pull
and each of these operations would have advanced the bookmark in a
different direction, this is a divergent bookmark, and the divergent
one will be recorded by "@foo" where "foo" is the name that you've
given to Savannah (I personally name mine "sav", see hg help paths).

I started using the @ bookmark because it was helpful from
distinguishing Savannah's head from the heads of our GSoC students.

- Jordi G. H.