Re: extra head

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: extra head
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 16:01:33 -0500

On 08/17/2013 03:48 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Aug 17, 2013, at 4:19 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

On 08/16/2013 05:07 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
(Or an equally plausible scenario is that Ben pulled from the
repository when the bookmark wasn't pointing at the most recent code.)

I think that is what happened in Ben's case.

Here is a snapshot of the current source tree from
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/:

age     author  description
60 minutes ago  Rik     doc: Rename @xcode macro to @tcode (transpose code) for
clarity.default tip
15 hours ago    Carnë Draug     imwrite: add simple test for actual
successfully writing
16 hours ago    Carnë Draug     imwrite: fix input checking for colormap (bug
#39791)
18 hours ago    Falk Tannhäuser         __plt__.m: Fix legend when plotting
vector against matrix (bug #39542)
24 hours ago    John Donoghue   Windows GUI: Reimplement tabbing in terminal
window
26 hours ago    Ben Abbott      * scripts/plot/hold.m: Fix typo "vargin" ->
"varargin".@
44 hours ago    John Donoghue   Windows GUI: clear any terminal selection when
pressing a key/pasting to terminal.

I see the @ bookmark is not positioned at the tip; it's down at Ben's push from 26 hours ago.  Am I
correct in assuming that neither John, Falk, Carnë nor Rik are using the @ bookmark, i.e., "hg
update @"?  This means that anyone who does "hg update @" on the current repository
will have a working copy with none of those changes.  When that person or persons does a push,
there could be conflicts from time to time that require manual merging.

The graph looks ok to me (i.e. nothing to merge)

        http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/graph/1c21f264d26f

Now, true, that is the case. But when you do the process described in your previous post you will be creating a sibling branch at the @ bookmark. That means when you commit/push/merge there are potential conflicts with the main "default" branch especially if there have been a lot of changes since the last time the @ bookmark is updated. See how it goes, I guess.

Dan