Re: Welcome SOCIS 2013 Applicants

From: mcecchetti
Subject: Re: Welcome SOCIS 2013 Applicants
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:48:56 -0700 (PDT)

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
> On Wed, 2013-08-28 at 12:37 -0700, mcecchetti wrote:
>
>> today I discovered that the list of selected students for SOCIS has
>> been published, indeed I am a bit disappointed to find out I was not
>> selected for the proposed octave project. I would like to know which
>> points of my application has been evaluated too weak compared to the
>> project proposal of the selected student.
>
> I'd like to know too. You seemed to at least be involved with us. You
> posted a bug fix and have been somewhat chatty on the mailing list. I
> haven't seen anything from Roberto Porcù. I can't even find his public
> application template.
>
> This is not to say that the best student didn't won, just that at
> least from where I'm standing, I don't understand what happened. Mind
> you, I didn't follow the SOCIS application process at all.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

I am not saying that Roberto Porcù is not the best student for this project,
too. I hope to have not been plaintive, I was just a bit surprised that he
has been preferred even if I provided a fix to a not so trivial bug (showing
at least my skill to get inside octave source code even if I started from
scratch) whilst he did not posted any contribute. Probably he owns a better
knowledge on the project subject, as he stated, however it is difficult to
evaluate because he did not provide any link in his application.

Regards,
-- Marco