Re: changeset included in a particular tag

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: changeset included in a particular tag
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 21:59:07 -0500

On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 20:26 -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> I've found the following two mercurial patterns useful.
>
> 1.
>
>   hg log -r "tag() and d99785217634::" --template "{tags}\n"
>
> This one lists all tags in the working repository that have been made
> since the specified changeset. This is roughly like the git command
> "git tag --contains".
>
> 2.
>
>   hg log -r "d99785217634 and ::tag(\"release-3-8-0\")"
>
> This lists the given changeset if and only if it is a proper ancestor of
> the specified tag "release-3-8-0" (in this case it is). If I substitute
> a newer changeset, e.g. the tip of the default branch right now,
>
>   hg log -r "cb377af34c00 and ::tag(\"release-3-8-0\")"
>
> then I get no output, meaning it is not present in the history of the
> specified tag.
>
> See "hg help revsets" for more ways to extract subsets of the history.
>
> Others (esp. Jordi) may have other mercurial wisdom.

These are all good revsets. I'm glad someone other than me is actually
using revsets! They're a very powerful DSL for inspecting hg history.

By the way, newer Mercurial versions allow revsets in hgweb searches,
so that we could use urls that contain revset queries. This would
require upgrading Savannah's Debian OS, which should be done anyway.
Is there interest in this? If so, I could consult with the Savannah
hackers about doing server upgrades.

- Jordi G. H.