Re: GSoC 2014, introducing myself.

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: GSoC 2014, introducing myself.
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 21:19:03 -0800 (PST)

Ouzounis_Georgios wrote
> Hello everyone.
>
>       My name is Georgios Ouzounis and I am a fourth year undergraduate in the
> School of Electrical and Computer Engineering in Aristotle's University of
> Thessaloniki, Greece.
> I am interested in applying to GSoC 2014 for one of the three GNU Octave
> projects listed below.
>
> 1) Rewrite Symbolic Package.
> 2) Improve MPI package.
> 3) Interface to Electronic Circuit Simulator.
>
>       Due to my field of study I have a broad knowledge of mathematics and I
> am
> pretty comfortable with the
> concepts involved with the symbolic package. I would really love to
> contribute to it's development. It's actually
> something that I had in mind for a long time but hesitated to get
> involved.
>
>       I have been using C and C++ for a long time and I am comfortable with
> these languages. I have also been
> using Matlab and Octave extensively the last two years so I am familiar
> with their scripting language too. Regarding
> programing I also know how to use gdb, write bash scripts. In terms of
> parallel computing I have good knowledge on
> CUDA, MPI, PTHREADS.
>
>       I would appreciate it if you could give me some information on what is
> already made and what needs to be done
> acording to the above projects. For example, does the symbolic package has
> to be written from scratch? Are there any
> goals to be achieved during the GSoC or it's the more code the better?
>
>       My e-mail is address@hidden and I have subscribed on the mailing
> list. My nick in the IRC channel #octave is gouzouni(I am new to the IRC
> but I am a quick learner).
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
>       Ouzounis Georgios.

Dear Georgios,

Great to hear from you. It's always good to have new contributors.

Please read carefully this section:
<http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_Project_Ideas#Steps_Toward_a_Successful_Application>
to find out what is expected from GSoC applicants.

It's good that you already have extensive experience with both C/C++ and the
Octave/Matlab scripting language.

Based on your interest in symbolic calculations, I'm pointing you to this
page:
<http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_Project_Ideas#Rewrite_symbolic_package>
Please let us know if you need more detailed info.

It's recommended you try one of the very short projects available at:
<http://wiki.octave.org/Short_projects>

Please don't hesitate to ask for help here or on IRC:
<http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=octave>

Best regards,
-Felipe.