Re: Google Summer of Code 2014 begins

From: c.
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2014 begins
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:43:31 +0200

On 23 Apr 2014, at 18:54, Nir Krakauer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Congratulations to the students who'll be working on Octave for this year's
> GSoC!
>
> Eduardo Fernández will add incomplete matrix factorizations.
> Eugenio Gianniti will improve Octave's finite element modeling capabilities
> via an interface with FEniCS.
> David Spies will improve Octave's handling of sparse matrices.
>
> Thanks to Jordi, jwe, Felipe, Pascal, Michael, Kai, Marco, and Doug for
> helping with selecting proposals and mentoring students.
>

> Accepted students:
>
> 1) Please (re)introduce yourself to the list if you haven't already done so.
> And get involved in any and all topics you find of interest.
>
> 2) You should each have or create a blog where you post on your project at
> least weekly. Send the URL to this list, and we'll include them in the
> planet.octave.org aggregator.
>
> 3) Your should be hearing regularly from your mentor. Messages to/from your
> mentor should be copied to this list, and you can also bring up on the list
> or on IRC any questions or concerns that arise.
>
> 4) See
> http://wiki.octave.org/Hg_instructions_for_mentors#Mercurial_Tips_for_SoC_students
>  for tips on working with existing Octave repositories, and
> http://flossmanuals.net/GSoCStudentGuide/ for general information about the
> program.
>
> Happy coding!
>
> --Nir

For those students who were not selected,
it seems Octave will be accepted again as a
SoCiS organization:

http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2014/

so, if you are from one of the eligible countries [1],
please consider applying again!

Good luck!
c.

[1] check here for the requirements for applying for SOCIS:
http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2014/tos