Re: Mac OS Binary

From: Marius Schamschula
Subject: Re: Mac OS Binary
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 15:41:13 -0600

On Nov 19, 2015, at 3:15 PM, edmund ronald <address@hidden> wrote:

> If a local portfile is sufficient why not just put it up on the Octave site?
> It makes as much sense we maintain it as that they maintain it ...
>
> BTW has anyone done numerical comparisons of the output of the various Mac
> versions - my VM thing, MacPorts, Brew? It would be nice to know how the use
> of different runtimes and compiler optimisations impacts Octave output.
>
> Edmund
>

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 7:20 PM, Sebastian Schöps <address@hidden> wrote:
> Marius Schamschula-5 wrote
> > See https://trac.macports.org/ticket/48622
> >
> > I’m not the MacPorts octave maintainer, but I’ve been using octave 4.0.0
> > built using a local Portfile MacPorts on all my machines for the last
> > three months.
>
> Dear Marius,
>
> does it build on 10.10? If it is more reliable than homebrew we could use
> Macports for creating the binary (as Carlo did with 3.x). I am still
> struggling with qt on 10.10.
>
> Sebastian
>
> P.S.: Personally, I gave up Macports some years ago when I uploaded an
> improved portfile for octave 3.8 (?) and the maintainer asked me for
> sponsorship to get the file (quicker?!) integrated into Macports. The
> contact was nice but nonetheless I made some experiments with homebrew and I
> kept using it :) It seemed more democratic and quicker with updates.
>

> --

Yes and no:

Yes: it doesn’t take much effort to set up a local tree.

No: you are now responsible for keeping the port up to date yourself, as
automatic updates are not applied to local Portfiles.

As far as comparing Fink vs. Homebrew vs. MacPorts, I could have benchmarked
that until about a year and a half ago. Before I updated my cluster to Yosemite
and installed MacPorts on all of the machines, I had all three installed on
identical machines (Mac Pro Nehalem). However, there are also differences
within each platform, depending in the variant built. For example on my work
office machine I have octave @4.0.0_1+atlas+gcc49+glgui+gui+metis+qtgui.
Building w/o atlas or Metis/SuiteSparse will make a lot of difference in terms
of performance. Using different versions of gcc also may make a difference (not
tested, I have built octave 4.0.0 with gcc-4.8, gcc-4.9 and gcc-5).

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula