A beginenr wishing to get involved

From: Ben Ph
Subject: A beginenr wishing to get involved
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 04:24:26 +0800

Hi,

I am starting Uni - Comp Sci.

My first units include a math one which has a MATLAB base to it. The lecturer is saying "You can use Octave, but i don't generally recommend it, because it's finicky to install and <other reasons>"

I would love to see Octave get to a point where lecturers are recommending these two software packages on a near equal standing, and getting involved in some real code while we are at it.

I don't have any grasp of C++. I know a small amount of C and Python. Aside form getting a handle on C++ (on my to do list) is there anything else I can do to get my hands dirty?

Regards,
Ben