Re: A beginenr wishing to get involved

From: Keith Keith
Subject: Re: A beginenr wishing to get involved
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:09:01 -0600

From what I understand to develop for Octave you have to some kind of Unix like system on your computer.  I think even if you want to build Octave for Windows the easiest way to do it is from *nix.  So if you run Windows only now you might want to look in to dual booting a Linux distro. Then the next step would be getting it to build from the source code on your system.  This will get you familiar with the dependencies and the build process.  Then I'd suggest installing Doxygen and making the Doxyhtml documentation.  You can then use your web browser to get familiar with the existing code.  That's pretty much where I'm at.  I'm looking at Doxyhtml and refreshing myself on C++.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Ben Ph <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I am starting Uni - Comp Sci.

My first units include a math one which has a MATLAB base to it. The lecturer is saying "You can use Octave, but i don't generally recommend it, because it's finicky to install and <other reasons>"

I would love to see Octave get to a point where lecturers are recommending these two software packages on a near equal standing, and getting involved in some real code while we are at it.

I don't have any grasp of C++. I know a small amount of C and Python. Aside form getting a handle on C++ (on my to do list) is there anything else I can do to get my hands dirty?

Regards,
Ben