Re: Changes in configure for Octave 4.0.1?

From: José Luis García Pallero
Subject: Re: Changes in configure for Octave 4.0.1?
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 20:53:10 +0200

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 14:47:27 +0200, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I've tried to compile the last Octave 4.0.1 sources and I've obtained
>> some errors in the configure step. I use Debian Sid.
>>
>> First of all, the shared Lapack library from the repositories
>> apparently doesn't work. I obtain the error
>>
>> checking for cheev_... no
>> checking for cheev_ in -llapack... no
>> checking for cheev_ in -llapack_rs6k... no
>> configure: error: BLAS and LAPACK libraries are required
>>
>> so I need to configure with the option
>> --with-lapack=/usr/lib/liblapack.a, i.e., with the static library (I
>> obtain the same error with --with-lapack=/usr/lib/liblapack.so)
>>
>> I obtain also
>>
>> configure: WARNING: qrupdate not found.  The QR & Cholesky updating
>> functions will be slow.
>> configure: WARNING: CHOLMOD library not found.  This will result in
>> some lack of functionality for sparse matrices.
>> configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found.  This will result in some lack
>> of functionality for sparse matrices.
>> configure: WARNING: ARPACK not found.  The eigs function will be disabled.
>>
>> but all these libraries are inatalled from the Debian repositories in
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ instead of /usr/lib/. I didn't remember my
>> last Octave building, but I though it runs
>
> No problems on my Debian stretch. And no problems here:
>
>   https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=octave&suite=sid
>
> Might be worth looking into config.log to see why it fails to use these
> libraries.

Well, I've investigated a little bit and I've found the problem, but I
can't explain why the configure doesn't work. Yesterday I installed
julia, which has as a dependency in Debian Sid the package (among
others) libopenblas-base. This package makes their BLAS and Lapack
libraries as default, as it can be seen using

update-alternatives --config libblas.so.3
Existen 2 opciones para la alternativa libblas.so.3 (que provee
/usr/lib/libblas.so.3).

  Selección   Ruta                                 Prioridad  Estado
* 0            /usr/lib/openblas-base/libblas.so.3   40        modo automático
  1            /usr/lib/libblas/libblas.so.3         10        modo manual
  2            /usr/lib/openblas-base/libblas.so.3   40        modo manual

and

update-alternatives --config liblapack.so.3
Existen 2 opciones para la alternativa liblapack.so.3 (que provee
/usr/lib/liblapack.so.3).

  Selección   Ruta                                   Prioridad  Estado
* 0            /usr/lib/openblas-base/liblapack.so.3   40        modo automático
  1            /usr/lib/lapack/liblapack.so.3          10        modo manual
  2            /usr/lib/openblas-base/liblapack.so.3   40        modo manual

Using these BLAS and Lapack the Octave configure step fails (I attach
the condig.log file). If I select as default the
/usr/lib/libblas/libblas.so.3 and /usr/lib/lapack/liblapack.so.3
libraries, configure works without problems. But the default
/usr/lib/libblas/libblas.so.3 is the reference unoptimized BLAS
version and I want to use an optimized one. Before continue, I select
again as default the /usr/lib/openblas-base/libblas.so.3 and
/usr/lib/openblas-base/liblapack.so.3 as it was set by apt-get

I have also an OpenBLAS compiled by myself and I added it in the
configure step a --with-blas=/opt/openblas/lib/libopenblas.so. Then,
the configure breaks due to

checking for cheev_... no
checking for cheev_ in -llapack... no
checking for cheev_ in -llapack_rs6k... no
configure: error: BLAS and LAPACK libraries are required

so my OpenBLAS works and I suppose CHEEV is not present in the Debian
libopenblas-base Lapack implementation. Then, I select the Lapack
library manually in configure by passing
--with-blas=/opt/openblas/lib/libopenblas.so
--with-lapack=/usr/lib/lapack/liblapack.so. But the error is the same
as before:

checking for cheev_... no
checking for cheev_ in -llapack... no
checking for cheev_ in -llapack_rs6k... no
configure: error: BLAS and LAPACK libraries are required

so I don't know if configure select the passed
/usr/lib/lapack/liblapack.so (which is the same as I selected before
as default via update-alternatives) in order to do its internal check
for CHEEV. But surprisingly, if I use
--with-lapack=/usr/lib/lapack/liblapack.a, i.e., the Lapack static
library, the configure finds CHEEV, but at the end emit the warnings

configure: WARNING: qrupdate not found.  The QR & Cholesky updating
functions will be slow.
configure: WARNING: CHOLMOD library not found.  This will result in
some lack of functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found.  This will result in some lack
of functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: ARPACK not found.  The eigs function will be disabled.

which don't appear selecting the reference BLAS and Lapack via
update-alternatives. I've compiled also by myself the reference
Lapack, but as only the static library is generated I obtain the same
warnings regarding qrupdate, CHOLMOD, UMFPACK and ARPACK. But why this
warnings only appear when I use the liblapack.a?

Anyone has problems compiling Octave when the openblas-base from
Debian is present?

Thanks

> --
> mike