Re: Changes in configure for Octave 4.0.1?

From: José Luis García Pallero
Subject: Re: Changes in configure for Octave 4.0.1?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:33:48 +0200

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 20:53:10 +0200, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
>> Well, I've investigated a little bit and I've found the problem, but I
>> can't explain why the configure doesn't work. Yesterday I installed
>> julia, which has as a dependency in Debian Sid the package (among
>> others) libopenblas-base. This package makes their BLAS and Lapack
>> libraries as default, as it can be seen using
>
> I also have libopenblas-base installed and configured as the default
> libblas.so.3.
>
> Do you also have libopenblas-dev installed and configured to provide
> libblas.so?
>
>> Anyone has problems compiling Octave when the openblas-base from
>> Debian is present?
>
> FWIW, I always build with --with-blas=blas. This builds Octave against
> the libblas.so symlink (which is the reference BLAS on my system), but
> at runtime it uses the configured libblas.so.3 which is OpenBLAS.
>
> I have not yet tried building with libopenblas-dev installed, but I will
> try if I get a chance.
>
> The exact error message from config.log is often more useful than just
> what configure puts out on stdout.

Thank you for your answer. I attached the config.log in my previous message.

I'll try to explain my new compilation attempt:

I have these relevant packages installed:

libblas-common
libblas3
libblas-dev
libblapack3
liblapack-dev
liblapack-pic
liblapacke
liblapacke-dev
libopenblas-base
libopenblas-dev
libarpack2
libarpack2-dev

The update-alternatives shows that thedefault BLAS and Lapack in
/usr/lib are linked to the libraries provided by the openblas packages
and I've checked it inspecting the links via ls

If I execute ./configure --prefix=/opt/octave/ CFLAGS=-O3 CXXFLAGS=-O3
FFLAGS=-O3 --with-hdf5-includedir=/usr/include/hdf5/serial
--with-hdf5-libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/hdf5/serial the configure
works but prints this warning:

configure: WARNING: ARPACK library found, but does not seem to work
properly -- disabling eigs function

I attach the config.log file to this message, but I would like to
comment a couple of things:

The detected BLAS library is

BLAS libraries:              -lopenblas

as libopenblas-dev installs libopenblas.so (and .a) in /usr/lib
inaddition to the libblas and liblapack in /usr/lib/openblas (managed
later by umpate alternatives)

The configure script doesn't print anything about Lapack:

LAPACK libraries:

but any error about is issued, so I understand Lapack is detected

Thanks

> --
> mike

José Luis García Pallero