Re: regarding location of Matlab compatible polygon functions

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: regarding location of Matlab compatible polygon functions
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 20:41:22 +0200

There may be unexpected future problems if a function is in a
different OF-package than that which corresponds to the Matlab toolbox
with that function. E.g. this occurs to me:

If a Matlab toolbox is turned into a package (with package prefix) --
or are some toolboxes already in packages? -- its functions may be
called with the package prefix. At least from this moment on our
functions should be in the "correct" package (the package
corresponding to the Matlab toolbox with that function). And I doubt
that a compatibility-wrapper in the "correct" package (redirecting the
call to the place where the function is defined) would work then; this
depends on whether the place where the function is defined can also be
prefixed and on the precedence rules (which I don't know) for prefixed
and un-prefixed function calls.

So (with a heavy heart) I suggest keeping functions corresponding to
Matlab functions in the package corresponding to the 'correct' Matlab
toolbox, if possible.

We probably still have some freedom in defining functions with
different names than in Matlab. This possibly gives rise to a
compromise solution -- for the current example: define the function
with a different name in the geometry package and place a
compatibility-wrapper, named as the Matlab function, in the mapping
package. You can't redirect 'help functionname', though, except
verbally ...

Olaf