Re: regarding location of Matlab compatible polygon functions

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: regarding location of Matlab compatible polygon functions
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 21:58:36 +0200

Olaf Till wrote:
On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 10:32:21PM +0200, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
Olaf Till wrote:
There may be unexpected future problems if a function is in a
different OF-package than that which corresponds to the Matlab toolbox
with that function. E.g. this occurs to me:

If a Matlab toolbox is turned into a package (with package prefix) --
or are some toolboxes already in packages? -- its functions may be
called with the package prefix.

Furthermore, are you talking about official TMW-created Matlab toolboxes? Is
it allowed to turn proprietary toolboxes into packages?

With 'packages' I meant, as I said, packages with a package prefix (in
a directory whose name starts with '+'). And I meant that TMW
themselves could turn these toolboxes into such packages.

It is fascinating to watch this process of:

1. ...Octave painting itself into a corner:
   maybe maybe in the future TMW will do ... so now we'd better ...

2. ...OSS being made so dependent and locked-in on proprietary SW.
   For that matter, Octave isn't quite alone in that respect.

<snip>
Please drop any mockery.

Mockery? You misjudge me :-)

Again, if the majority agrees on copying Matlab I'll yield. No grudges here as long as the reasoning is clear and open, rather than silently arbitrary. Well, that part of my goal seems to have been reached.

And now I'd better shut up about this subject. Enough said.

Thanks,

Philip