Re: Help strings in the text body of the manual

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: Help strings in the text body of the manual
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 00:28:16 -0700 (PDT)

Daniel Sebald wrote
> On 04/24/2016 10:29 PM, LachlanA wrote:
>
>> Having said that, I have almost never looked at the manual.  Finding what
>> want in a 1000 page document is too hard.  Perhaps Pantxo's suggestion
>> could
>> reduce the manual to a 200 page document, with 800 pages of appendix --
>> or
>> perhaps each chapter could have a short "synthesis" section with this
>> sort
>> of discussion, followed by (and hyperlinked to) its own function list.
>
> Qt has a feature similar to Windows HelpBook, called Qt Assistant:
>
> http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/assistant-custom-help-viewer.html#using-qt-assistant-remotely
>
> It requires HTML code and then a few simple steps to compress the set of
> files into the proper file format.  Once loaded Qt Assistant will allow
> searching, which is nice because it is a fast way to jump to the
> documentation of interest.
>
> Dan

@Lachlan: thanks, that is pretty much all I meant.

@Doug: I agree QtHelp system is the way to go for the documentation browser.
Nevertheless someone willing to read a section (yes there are people who do
that :-)) to have an overview of a subject like plotting, ends up scrolling
through a list of seemingly uncorrelated function helps.

Pantxo