Re: Moving ode changes to default branch

From: Marco Caliari
Subject: Re: Moving ode changes to default branch
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 09:52:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016, Jacopo Corno wrote:

Dear all,

I am not sure if it counts as testing, but in the last few days I updated almost all the solver in odepkg to the new options handling by Francesco and Carlo and everything seems to be working fine.

Regarding the slow down in odeset, Carlo and I expected this, but for any reasonable problem it is in my opinion negligible. Furthermore the checking of the options is now more sound than before. I recall that there are some proposition on improving the performances as the next step for Octave development and surely we can look into ode as well...

Let me know what will be the final choice for stable so that I can either keep working on odepkg as is or go back and fix it starting from the old version.

One final comment:
Maybe in the future we could better synchronize the release with the end of the GSOC/SoCiS projects. My guess is that seeing their contribution in core would increase the students interest in keeping involved in Octave.

Dear Jacopo,

the 4.2 release was syncronized with Debian 9 while the projects had
their own scheduling. Moreover, this time there were two projects (by Francesco and Chiara) partially involving the core and the odepkg and you know it was not easy to stay syncronized. Anyway, what I learnt as a mentor for Chiara and Cristiano is that, quoting Carnë, "we probably should have been reviewing and merging his work as it was done so it was not all done at the end". This is particularly true if a major release for Octave is scheduled.

One final comment: would it that difficult to maintain some (few) binary versions of the development code?

Marco