Re: Begin phasing out support for Qt 4?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Begin phasing out support for Qt 4?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 16:44:13 -0700

On Wed, Apr 04, 2018 at 08:24:50 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> I checked in my attempt here:
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f191e1a26095
>
> The configure script will stop checking if a Qt module is missing.  I did

This seems to work for me. If I move Qt5Help.pc out of the way on my
system, I get

    checking Qt version 5... checking for QT... no
    configure: WARNING: Your installation of Qt version 5 appears incomplete or
broken in some way.  Fix that or use --with-qt=VER to use another version.
    configure: WARNING: Qt libraries not found; disabling Qt GUI
    …
      Build Octave Qt GUI:                  no (missing:Qt5Help)

I will test later on a system that has only Qt 4.

> not try to handle the case of modules available but some tools missing, but
> we could try that if it isn't too difficult.

There is already the problem of qtchooser, see bug #53408. I don't think
it's worth putting too much effort into trying to verify that all the
tools are actually installed and working and are from the same Qt
version.

--
mike