Re: User-visible mentions of future Octave versions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: User-visible mentions of future Octave versions
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 08:33:26 -0400

On 04/08/2018 09:12 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
There are a few mentions of Octave 4.6 and 4.8 in some user-visible
places

   * NEWS
   * quadcc.cc (doc string)
   * scripts/deprecated/*.m (doc strings)

Since we know the development branch is now called 5.0.0, should we try
to update these notes on the stable branch so users have the best
information about what's coming? Specifically, mentions of 4.6 are now
5.1, and mentions of 4.8 are now 6.1? Or will we just call them Octave 5
and Octave 6 now?

Yes, we should probably be consistent since we know what the version numbers will be. I pushed a changeset that updates the above files and more, then merged with default:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/7b1b504c2f12

I don't deal much with deprecations, but I just pushed a change on
stable to delete some things that seemed to have been overlooked for
4.4, please correct if this was not right

   https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/09e0ddee659c

That looks correct to me.

I started using "FIXME: DEPRECATED: " so that maybe we will miss fewer things in the future. I'm also hopeful that someday the number of things that we need to mark as deprecated will not be so large.