Re: EDITION number

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: EDITION number
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 14:30:42 -0400

On 04/11/2018 02:18 PM, Rik wrote:
jwe,

The EDITION number used in the documentation is the same as the VERSION number according to the documentation for Automake:

|EDITION|
|VERSION|
    Both of these macros hold the version number of your program. They
are kept separate for clarity. Since we want EDITION to be just the base number (4, not 4.3.90) should be post-process the generated version-octave.texi file with sed, or should we just hardcode the EDITION number in the title page of octave.texi and bump it when we make major releases (which isn't that often).

It seems more reliable to generate it automatically if possible. But I don't think it's something that needs to be done before the current release.