Re: option for enabling/disabling auto-suggest feature

From: Sudeepam Pandey
Subject: Re: option for enabling/disabling auto-suggest feature
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 02:16:00 +0530

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 2:01 AM, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04/26/2018 12:27 PM, octave-maintainers-request@gnu.org wrote:
Re: Proceeding with the GSoC Project
From:
Sudeepam Pandey <address@hidden>
Date:
04/26/2018 12:12 PM
To:
Nir Krakauer <address@hidden>
CC:
octave-maintainers <address@hidden>, Doug Stewart <address@hidden>, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden>
Message:
2

Thank you Nir Krakauer for your inputs. The following is an abstract from my GSoC proposal.

Phase 1 evaluations goal
: A set of working Neural Network m-scripts, which, together,
could suggest corrections for typographic errors.

Phase 2 evaluations goal: A development version of Octave which has a command line
suggestion feature (currently there will be no mechanism available to easily select the
corrections suggested and easily enable/disable this feature).

Phase 3 evaluations goal
:
A development version of Octave with a complete and working
command line suggestion feature, open to feedback and criticisms.

Do I understand correctly that the Phase 3 implementation will have a way to enable/disable the auto-suggest feature?  This is very important.  Microsoft got burned for introducing an auto-help mechanism called Clippy (it's avatar was a paperclip) which was far, far more annoying than useful, and could not be easily disabled.  In 2010 Time magazine named it one of the 50 worst inventions of all time.  In other words, make sure users are in charge and can enable/disable this feature as they like.

--Rik

Yes, I'll make sure that the auto-suggest feature has an easy enable/disable option. Maybe something like a command/ shortcut key to disable/enable the feature.