Re: Patch to improve GUI editor on HiDPI displays

From: jpswensen
Subject: Re: Patch to improve GUI editor on HiDPI displays
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 05:40:32 -0700

> On Apr 27, 2018, at 3:51 AM, avlas <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> El divendres, 27 d’abril de 2018, a les 0:49:33 EDT, John Swensen va escriure:
>

>> On Apr 25, 2018, at 11:16 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there anyone who regularly builds the development version of Octave
>> for Windows or for macOS with a HiDPI / Retina display that can test the
>> attached patch for me?
>>
>> I have seen some reports that the Octave GUI editor looks pixelated on
>> HiDPI displays. The attached patch is supposed to fix this. I have no
>> such hardware to test on (donations welcome), but the patch doesn't make
>> things any worse for me.
>>
>> Can anyone test and confirm whether the patch improves the appearance of
>> the editor? Worse? No change?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>  I don’t see a problem either on my MacOS with Homebrew. In fact, I don’t see
> any difference with and without the patch.
>
>  John S.
>
> It does make a difference in Linux, solving pixelated text in Octave's editor
> (at least) in KDE with hidpi screen scaled to a non-integer number.
>
> [We've already talked about this, but thought that it may be useful for
> giving some context to others...]

> a.

I think the non/integer pixel ratio must be the deal. I did.a quick test and on
all three of my displays, the pixel ratio is always 2.0 or 1.0 regardless of
which screen and how I set up the scaling. Maybe there is something with MacOS
where not integer pixel ratios are handled under the hood and it fakes exactly
2.0 or 1.0?

John S