Re: comprehending the build message

From: Sudeepam Pandey
Subject: Re: comprehending the build message
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 19:14:24 +0530

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 4:40 AM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> wrote:
----- Original Message -----
>From: Sudeepam Pandey
>To: octave-maintainers
>Date: 2018/4/30, Mon 05:18
>Subject: comprehending the build message
>

>All,
>    I was following the HACKING.md file to build octave dev. The *make -j2* command exits with the following message...
>
>  MAKEINFO ../doc/interpreter/octave.info
>  TEXI2DVI doc/interpreter/octave.dvi
>/usr/bin/texi2dvi: etex exited with bad status, quitting.
>Makefile:27883: recipe for target 'doc/interpreter/octave.dvi' failed
>make[2]: *** [doc/interpreter/octave.dvi] Error 1
>make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/sudeepam/SUDEEPAM/octave/.build'
>Makefile:26444: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
>make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/sudeepam/SUDEEPAM/octave/.build'
>Makefile:10182: recipe for target 'all' failed
>make: *** [all] Error 2
>
>Can anyone explain what this means?
>
>What confuses me more is that, these 'errors' are there after the make -j2 command but I can run octave from the run-octave file inside the .build folder (basic operations like 5+5, 8*8 etc are all working).
>
>I am confused whether Octave was build correctly or not. Can anyone help please?

Octave-maintainers list is mainly for octave development and your topic seem to be better for help-octave list.
At next post, if you will make a similar post, you should submit help-octave list.

I'm sorry. I'll take care of this next time.

Anyway I will try to make an reply:

Octave build itself is done at your case.
Error occurs in building documentation.

Thus you can execute ./run-octave.

Error is simple

>  TEXI2DVI doc/interpreter/octave.dvi
>/usr/bin/texi2dvi: etex exited with bad status, quitting.

Your texi2dvi system seems not to be adequate for octave.
I do have knowledge for texi2dvi so I cannot answer in details.

Other expert will make further replies.

If you do need documentation, the above error can be skipped disabling building documentation at configure
using --disable-docs.

HTH

Tatsuro

Thank you for your help.