Re: Building under windows

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Building under windows
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 09:59:47 -0400

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018, 09:53 Richard Crozier <address@hidden> wrote:
On 25/08/18 14:26, Ian McCallion wrote:
> Does anyone build octave under windows?
>
> If so is there a beginners guide somewhere that I can follow to get me
> started?

The windows version of octave is cross-compiled from linux, i.e. built
on a Linux computer. I think you will find it challenging to do a native
build to say the least. The standard way to build the windows version is
to use mxe-octave, info here:

https://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer

You might be able to do this on Windows 10 if you install the linux
subsystem for Linux and and build it in that environment. Never tried
this, and have no idea if it work

FYI  the Windows subsystem for Linux details:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

Would be great if this worked and we could document it.