Re: first help sentence truncated

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: first help sentence truncated
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 15:10:32 -0500

On 2018-08-30 01:13 PM, Rik wrote:
The abbreviation "vs." still looks like a sentence end because the next letter following the period is capitalized.  At this point, I think it would be easier to rewrite the help text and expand "vs." to "versus".

Perhaps generate_html could just write out what it thinks the first sentence is as a debug message. That way we punt strange cases back to the package maintainer.

But I think the best approach is two have *both* bits of text (the one-liner and the longer paragraph) as separate data, so the package author can decide what to put in each field. Add a "Summary: <one sentence>" field to the DESCRIPTION file. If the new field is missing, we take the first sentence, as we do now.

This also aligns nicely with the <summary> and <description> tags from the foo.metainfo.xml file. E.g., form octave-image.metainfo.xml:

<summary>Image processing, feature extraction, transformations, morphological operations, filters, and more</summary>
  <description>
    extraction, image statistics, spatial and geometric
    transformations, morphological operations, linear filtering, and
    much more.</p>
  </description>

(so in principle a Makefile could generate one from the other.)

cheers,
Colin