Re: Question about copyright headers of JIT-related files

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Question about copyright headers of JIT-related files
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 10:11:32 +0100

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 8:50 AM Julien Bect <address@hidden> wrote:
Le 01/02/2019 à 04:44, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso a écrit :

> Admittedly, we've never been too careful about not updating copyright
> years for those who are no longer alive.

You are certainly very funny, but it was an honest question...

My understanding was that we should indicate as copyright years, for a
given contributor on a given file, the actual years where "significant"
contributions where made.

Apparently not ?

Apparently not.  Like Jordi explained, Octave code base is huge and updating the copyrights is not trivial.  In general once in each year, jwe pushes a huge cset like

and the task is done without caring too much about "significant" years contributions where made.  At least the topmost author gets the updated year.  For details Octave has version control, like you used to identify the case for Max Brister.  So if you think your contributions are significant, credit your work and put yourself as top author of the file and receive updated years for the sake of copyright laws.  Some examples of different scenarios:

Best,
Kai