Re: Question about copyright headers of JIT-related files

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Question about copyright headers of JIT-related files
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 08:47:16 +0100

Le 03/02/2019 à 17:23, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso a écrit :
On Fri, 2019-02-01 at 08:49 +0100, Julien Bect wrote:
Le 01/02/2019 à 04:44, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso a écrit :
On Thu, 2019-01-17 at 22:03 +0100, Julien Bect wrote:
JIT-related source file have the line "Copyright (C) 2012-2019 Max Brister".

I was wondering about the reason this, since Max Brister contributions
were all done in 2012, 2013.
Unless a great tragedy has happened, I believe Max is still alive.
Since we are still publishing (reprinting?) his work, his years of
copyright are still getting updated.

Admittedly, we've never been too careful about not updating copyright
years for those who are no longer alive.

You are certainly very funny, but it was an honest question...
It was an honest answer. I wasn't trying to be funny. We certainly do
have some dead contributors in the codebase (I mean, Octave has been
around for close to three decades now), and we've never been too
careful to make sure we don't update their copyrights again.

Copyrights for living people are updated if their works are
republished. That's what we're doing for Max. We're continuously
publishing his work, every year.

Ok, thank you for explaining.  (But then, according to your argument, copyright notices should be updated for every living author ?)

My own understanding of copyright notices is that "Copyright XXXX-YYYY SomeOne" is supposed to mean that SomeOne has produced versions of the work in each year of the range XXXX-YYYY.

Which is why (again, in my understanding) you sometimes see complicated copyright notices such as:

./libinterp/parse-tree/oct-parse.cc:5:   Copyright (C) 1984, 1989-1990, 2000-2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

So, I just don't understand the point of "updating a copyright" (extending the range) after SomeOne has stopped contributing (whether he/she is alive or not, by the way): if the file is re-published with no significant changes, then the copyright notice could stay the same.  If there have been significant changes by other people, then copyright notices can be added for these people.

But obviously, IANAL and now I can see (cf Kai's email) that this is the way things are done in the entire Octave code base, not just in JIT-related files.  Fine.

@++