Hardening BIST tests

From: Rik
Subject: Hardening BIST tests
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 16:22:20 -0800

All,

I took the first steps toward hardening the BIST tests against local
preference files.  I ran the test suite after using save_default_options
("-ascii") and corrected nine problems in this cset
(https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/63b5a17ba30f).

Running the test suite with default graphics toolkit of "fltk" or "gnuplot"
went fine and revealed no problems.

I could not run the test suite in a read-only directory as I immediately got

__run_test_suite__: could not open /home/rik/..../fntests.log for writing

--Rik