Re: locale encoding and core functions

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: locale encoding and core functions
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 12:25:05 -0800

On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 14:49:47 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 3/9/19 2:24 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:
>
> > The idea of running arbitrary code in a pre-code-reading context is kind
> > of scary to me. Especially because relative execution time & environment
> > of this may depend on what order source files from different directories
> > get called & loaded in. My gut says to stick with a predefined set of
> > settings/options.
>
> Yeah.  Long ago, Emacs would execute arbitrary code without asking.  Now it
> asks before doing that and allows ways to make it happen automatically.  But
> for Octave I also think we can just allow a limited number of settings.

The PKG_ADD and PKG_DEL files can be dropped into any directory on the
load path, and they already support executing arbitrary commands.

Do we need to define a new file or can we install PKG_ADD files that run
some command that does what you need? Something like

    dn = fileparts (mfilename ("fullpath"));
    set_dir_file_encoding (dn);

?

--
mike