Re: hg repo corruption: ".hgsubstate is corrupt in revision ..."

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: hg repo corruption: ".hgsubstate is corrupt in revision ..."
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 03:49:28 -0400

On 3/28/19 3:15 AM, Mike Miller wrote:

> I don't know how well versed you are in Hg, but one big difference with
> Git is that branches are permanent, like SVN. Use bookmarks instead, the
> effect is roughly similar to Git topic branches.

Did not know that. I'll read up on Hg bookmarks.

So I tried bisecting, first once, then twice, and I finally got a
successful push by pushing the first ¼ of the revisions on the default
branch

     hg push -r d5d6a670f137 new

Cool! What was the code you used to do the bisecting? I'm working on a similar thing, and my solution in progress is rather ungainly. https://github.com/apjanke/rebuild-octave-repo

I kept pushing ¼ at a time and got the whole history pushed in 4 batches
of ~6500 changesets each, plus one more for stray side branches

     hg push --new-branch -r 2e4252228f73 new
     hg push --new-branch -r 6cfbf412a2c3 new
     hg push --new-branch -r @ new
     hg push --force -r "public()" new
     hg push -B @ new

If you try that, maybe you'll have better luck pushing the whole history
in batches. Maybe Bitbucket can't handle the size of our repository all
at once? Maybe it has a post-receive hook that is timing out on such a
huge number of changesets? I really don't know.

Ha! It worked! Thank you!

I have to say after a few years of using Hg on Bitbucket off and on,
it's really not pleasant. I've found quite a few rough edges. Enough to
make me not want to use it for collaboration again.

Are there any better options for Hg? I"m not up for hosting my own publicly-visible repo.

Thanks for figuring out how to fix this for me! This will make my Octave work easier.

Cheers,
Andrew