Re: hg repo corruption: ".hgsubstate is corrupt in revision ..."

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: hg repo corruption: ".hgsubstate is corrupt in revision ..."
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 01:15:09 -0400

On 7/31/18 3:45 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 15:23:11 -0400, Andrew Janke wrote:
I'm having a bit of trouble with the GNU Octave Hg repo. I'm unable to push
copies of it to my private Bitbucket account.

When examining a freshly cloned repo with "hg verify", it reports corruption
in the .hgsubstate file. This is consistent - each time I re-clone the repo,
it still shows up as corrupt.

Have any of you encountered this?

This looks like it has to do with the gnulib subrepo, which has changed
a few times over the hg history. I see the same errors with 'hg verify'.

You haven't shown the 'hg push' error, but it probably also has to do
with the subrepo. You might try using the subpaths rewrite configuration
to work around this. I used to have the following in my ~/.hgrc, before
we changed gnulib to an absolute URL.

     [subpaths]
     .*/gnulib-hg = http://www.octave.org/hg/octave/gnulib-hg

I would try the following configuration today, to override the
historical URLs of both 'gnulib' and 'gnulib-hg':

     [subpaths]
     .*/gnulib = http://hg.octave.org/gnulib
     .*/gnulib-hg = http://hg.octave.org/gnulib

Sorry I dropped this thread back when. I'm picking up this issue again because I'd like to be able to use the DVCS features of Hg with Octave, sharing my forked repo between multiple machines I work on, and sharing public branches with y'all.

Here's the hg push failure. There are no useful diagnostics in it.

[octave] $ cat .hg/hgrc
[paths]
default = https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave
bitbucket = ssh://address@hidden/apjanke/octave-fresh-01
[octave] $ hg push bitbucket
pushing to ssh://address@hidden/apjanke/octave-fresh-01
no changes made to subrepo gnulib since last push to http://hg.octave.org/gnulib
searching for changes
remote: adding changesets
remote: adding manifests
remote: adding file changes
remote: transaction abort!
remote: rollback completed
remote: received spurious file revlog entry
abort: push failed on remote
[octave] $

`hg push --verbose` adds a lot more progress info, but the error message is the same.

Adding the [subpaths] entry didn't do anything to change the error.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Cheers,
Andrew