Re: [octave forge] releasing (was: ... and template Makefiles)

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: [octave forge] releasing (was: ... and template Makefiles)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 16:59:43 -0700

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 23:12:00 +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
> here are some instructions:
>
> Put the new package tarball to:
> <username>@frs.sourceforge.net:/home/frs/project/octave/Octave\ Forge\
> Packages/Individual\ Package\Releases/
>
> It will take some minutes until the tarball is automatically copied
> from there to be available online.
>
> unpack the package html and do something corresponding to:
>
> rsync -av --delete <package-name>-html/<package-name>/
> <username>,address@hidden:htdocs/packages/<package-name>/
>
> update <username>,address@hidden:htdocs/news.html

Ok, so these three are all pushed using scp, sftp, or rsync+ssh, right?
That seems pretty straightforward, I will probably end up scripting
something to do that for me in one step.

> remember to notify the package maintainer at the release forum, the
> maintainer should announce the release at the list

Ok.

> tag the release changeset in the repository (only for 'community'
> packages)

Are any packages that would be going through this process *not* in this
category?

> From now on, we should inform each other before we start to publish a
> certain release, so that the other(s) don't try to do it at the same
> time. Since we don't know if and when Oliver comes back, we should
> notify him also.

Ok, how about we add a comment on the release tracker itself before we
start to work on a particular package?

> I havn't looked into this yet, but the new web-site of OF sometimes
> seems to require the browsers reload button to be pressed to see
> changes.

Ok, no problem.

> htdocs/ (see above) at the web-site corresponds to htdocs/ in the
> 'project-web' package, but contains some more directories (in
> particular, under htdocs/packages/, the html directories of the
> individual packages), some generated files, and maybe some more
> files. Note that htdocs/news.html is not necessarily always in sync
> between the web-site and the 'project-web' package (the file at the
> web-page being potentially newer; this is to avoid too frequent
> commits to the project-web package).

So updating news.html for now means

1. scp ${username},address@hidden:htdocs/news.html .
2. edit news.html
3. scp news.html ${username},address@hidden:htdocs/news.html

and then at some point in the future, periodically copy it into
project-web and hg commit / push?

Is there a reason to avoid commits to the project-web package?

Thanks,

--
mike