Re: [octave forge] releasing and template Makefiles

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: [octave forge] releasing and template Makefiles
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 20:49:54 -0400

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019, 5:48 PM Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 16:16:00 +0100, JuanPi wrote:
> So how we speed up and make easier the release process?

.

I don't know if it's documented anywhere, but I would review by

1. Pick a package at https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases/
2. Install the release candidate in latest Octave release
3. Look for compiler errors and warnings
4. Run all tests using runtests (including tests in the src dir)
5. Run doctest on all functions (optional)
6. Repeat steps 2-5 in other versions of Octave as available
7. Run generate_package_html
8. Look for makeinfo errors and warnings during HTML build
9. Unpack and spot-check the generated HTML documentation
10. Read NEWS and see if it makes sense, version and date match
11. See if all functions are listed in INDEX

It would be good to document common problems that reviewers can check
for, things like

* INDEX is missing some new functions added
* NEWS has not been updated or is missing something big
* Version numbers or dates do not match between DESCRIPTION and NEWS
* Common makeinfo errors like "@bye seen before @end deftypefn"
* DESCRIPTION says pkg works with old Octave 4.x but it fails for me
* Obviously, compiler errors, warnings, test failures

Can that process be templated on the octave wiki, so that a pkg maintainer can copy the template, label for the candidate release, announce it with a link to maintainers@, and then non admons could help with parts and note status back to the wiki?
-