Re: [octave forge] releasing (was: ... and template Makefiles)

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: [octave forge] releasing (was: ... and template Makefiles)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 15:23:35 +0100

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 04:59:43PM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 23:12:00 +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
> > tag the release changeset in the repository (only for 'community'
> > packages)
>
> Are any packages that would be going through this process *not* in this
> category?

The process of publishing is the same for both categories. The process
of reviewing may possibly be less strict for 'external' packages (?),
but I think checking licenses is important, and it should be possible
to generate the release from the OF repository.

> > From now on, we should inform each other before we start to publish a
> > certain release, so that the other(s) don't try to do it at the same
> > time. Since we don't know if and when Oliver comes back, we should
> > notify him also.
>
> Ok, how about we add a comment on the release tracker itself before we
> start to work on a particular package?

You're right, let's do it this way.

> > htdocs/ (see above) at the web-site corresponds to htdocs/ in the
> > 'project-web' package, but contains some more directories (in
> > particular, under htdocs/packages/, the html directories of the
> > individual packages), some generated files, and maybe some more
> > files. Note that htdocs/news.html is not necessarily always in sync
> > between the web-site and the 'project-web' package (the file at the
> > web-page being potentially newer; this is to avoid too frequent
> > commits to the project-web package).
>
> So updating news.html for now means
>
> 1. scp ${username},address@hidden:htdocs/news.html .
> 2. edit news.html
> 3. scp news.html ${username},address@hidden:htdocs/news.html
>
> and then at some point in the future, periodically copy it into
> project-web and hg commit / push?

That's what I meant.

> Is there a reason to avoid commits to the project-web package?

The only reason has been not to clutter the repository with too many
changesets. I daresay it wouldn't do much harm, though, to commit any
news.html change. If you like, we can try to keep news.html in sync.

Olaf