Re: [octave-forge] (parallel) request help for testing at Windows

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: [octave-forge] (parallel) request help for testing at Windows
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 19:20:48 +0100

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 12:32:41PM -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> in any case, matching Markus's output:
>
> C:\Programs\Octave\octave-5.1.0-w64\mingw64\bin>octave-config -p BINDIR
> C:\Programs\Octave\octave-5.1.0-w64\mingw64\bin

Thank you Markus and Nicholas,

I couldn't go on with this for a few days, and since it seems to
require more effort, I suggest that you don't fell pressed to respond
immediately but may be make a new test once you have time... I can't
currently promise to immediately respond myself...

Anyway a new tarball with md5sum

6624809226b50b3f2e475e98d84bad40  parallel-3.1.3.tar.gz

is uploaded to

https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases/393/

, which addresses the issue with the filename of the Octave
executable.

As for starting from batch files: The new process is started by
package 'parallel' with 'CreateProcessA()' in a way that sets up the
environment of the new process with the environment of the parent
process (Octave). So I don't think it's necessary to start the new
process indirectly with a batch file. The rationale in starting
octave-cli.exe with a fully specified path is that this new process
should be of the same Octave distribution as the parent process
(assuming it's possible to have several different Octave versions
installed, as in GNU/Linux).

Olaf