Re: OCL package 1.0.0 released

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: OCL package 1.0.0 released
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 23:56:47 +0100

> Today I learned from another OF package creation attempt [6] that a
> ticket should be opened at SourceForge [7].  But I am neither admin nor
> developer of Octave Forge, thus I cannot help you out here.  Olaf or
> Juan, can you help out here to not be forgotten again?

I do not think that the ticket method is actually official, but I
think is a good way to request a new repo.
I personally will suggest opencl as package name rather than ocl, the
3 extra letters make a huge difference in clarity.
Please let me know and I will open the ticket (can do it yourself?) in
the package release tracker [1].

[1]: https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases/

> The rest is really up to you.  If you want to host a community package,
> the review process might be a little stricter, but in your case it seems
> realistic to go with that.  Thus please provide for the ticket:
>
>   Name: ocl ?
>   SCM: mercurial/git/svn ?
>   Type: community/external package ?
>
> Hope that you are still interested and things don't get stuck again.

My vary personal suggestion is to keep it as external, because OF
maintainers cannot keep up with all the work that is coming towards
us, and you will suffer unnecessary delays.
You can also follow Mike's example [2] and not even post it in OF, but
announce the release in Admin and Help mailing list. This way you are
the only responsible for delay in releases and you can always motivate
people to join your team.
We need to find a better way to syndicate OF packages.

[2]:
https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Pythonic-package-0-0-1-released-td4692932.html