Re: OCL package 1.0.0 released

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: OCL package 1.0.0 released
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 23:51:58 +0900

Dear Matt,

Sorry for the more than late reply for your great effort.  Maybe I can
give you a few answers below:

On 8/21/19 10:54 PM, Matthias W. Klein wrote:
> [...]
>
> @Maintainers:
> a) So is it that each package release should be tested against a recent
> dev octave before release?
> b) How is the other way usually handled, with all existing OF packages?
> Is it each package maintainer's responsibility to re-achieve package
> compatibility after octave release, or is some other way of
> collaboration common?
> I consider myself a newbie in these respects, thanks for letting me know.

For the past major releases, say Octave 5, there was an announcement on
this mailing-list for feature freezes and a few release candidates.
>From this moment on, each active OF maintainer had about a month to look
at his packages to make them work with that new release candidates.
Many working OF packages with binary code get bundled with the official
MS Windows release (with is the most crucial deadline for OF package
maintainers, I think).  If you don't care about that, you can fix
compatibility at any later time.

> [...] I can well imagine ocl to become an OF package, but I
> do not know what you maintainers or OF admins require in practice for
> this step? (Yes, I have read [5], conform to most of it, and am willing
> to discuss the rest. With whom?) Also, the decision community vs.
> external package seems crucial. The package itself contains about 10000
> lines of C++ code and a few points will have to be adapted slightly in a
> concerted action as the octave interface for oct-files evolves. What
> procedure is expected or common?
>
> @Maintainers: Who can kindly assist me with the latter questions?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> [...]

I also would love to see your package on OF, and was surprised it did
not happen yet?!

Today I learned from another OF package creation attempt [6] that a
ticket should be opened at SourceForge [7].  But I am neither admin nor
developer of Octave Forge, thus I cannot help you out here.  Olaf or
Juan, can you help out here to not be forgotten again?

The rest is really up to you.  If you want to host a community package,
the review process might be a little stricter, but in your case it seems
realistic to go with that.  Thus please provide for the ticket:

  Name: ocl ?
  SCM: mercurial/git/svn ?
  Type: community/external package ?

Hope that you are still interested and things don't get stuck again.

Best,
Kai

[5] https://octave.sourceforge.io/developers.php
[6]