Re: Doubt regarding PolarAxes project

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: Doubt regarding PolarAxes project
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2020 14:29:54 -0500 (CDT)

akshit chaturvedi wrote
> Greetings,
> I'm a bit confused. Am I supposed to make a PolarAxes or a PolarAxis
> object? In Octave, we have Axes and an Axis function which pretty much do
> the same thing.
>
> Also, in the project description, it's stated that PolarAxes is
> implemented
> using 2D axes and callback listeners. Can u pls tell me how this is done
> cuz whenever I type PolarAxes it just shows yet to be implemented.
>
> Lastly, could you pls tell me what's happening here :
> function h = axes (varargin)
> if (nargin == 0 || nargin > 1)
> ## Idk what's happening from here onwards
> idx = find (strcmpi (varargin(1:2:end), "parent"), 1, "first");
> if (! isempty (idx) && length (varargin) >= 2*idx)
> cf = varargin{2*idx};
>
> varargin([2*idx-1, 2*idx]) = [];
> else
> cf = gcf ();
> endif Yours sincerely, Akshit

Hi,

I am sorry that no one got to answer your request sooner. Currently Octave
implements the "polar" function so the code to produce a circular background
and grid lines is in polar.m.

IIUC the idea of the project is that most of the work done in polar.m could
be done much more efficiently and accurately if we had a dedicated low level
object: a PolarAxes that only has relevant properties [1].

So the first stage of the GSOC project is to add a new low level
graphics_object type (see graphics.in.h and .cc), possibly based on axes
objects, and then create an interface function __go_polaraxes__ to
instantiate the new objects from m-code.

The second part of the project is implementing the polaraxes.m function.

Pantxo

[1]https://nl.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/matlab.graphics.axis.polaraxes-properties.html

--
Sent from: https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html