Re: About str2double() and exponent identifier

From: Anthony Tedde
Subject: Re: About str2double() and exponent identifier
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 13:39:54 +0200

Hello,

It seems to me that there is an inconsistency, especially because the documentation of the str2double function mentions :

<<

@code{str2double} can replace @code{str2num}, and it avoids the security risk of using @code{eval} on unknown data.

The issue occurs because c++ does not understand the char 'd' as the exponent 'e' when converting an istringstream to a double by using the overloaded operator>>.

This inconsistency could be fixed by inserting the following lines after the line 464 in liboctave/util/oct-string.cc:

std::size_t dpos = str.rfind('d');

if( dpos != std::string::npos){

  str.replace (dpos, 1, 1, 'e');

}

Could it be an acceptable solution to a feature request ?

Anthony