Re: Worth to mention in Octave 6 NEWS, support for private in namespaces

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Worth to mention in Octave 6 NEWS, support for private in namespaces?
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:11:02 -0700

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 20:25:58 +0200, Julien Bect wrote:
> 1) Does Octave officially support these "namespaces" (directories starting
> with a "+") ?

Yes, since version 4.0. It was implemented as part of "classdef"
support, which was mentioned in the release news file.

> I know that the functionality has been implemented to some extent for some
> time now, but I failed to locate any mention of this in the Release Notes or
> in the manual.  Have I missed something ?

Lack of documentation is pretty common and unfortunate. For example,
"classdef" was only added to the user manual in version 4.4. Help with
the user manual is always appreciated.

> 2) How are they called in Octave ?
>
> The corresponding functionality in Matlab in called "package", but this word
> refers to something entirely different in Octave...

Yep. See "help import", where both "package" and "namespace" are used to
refer to the same thing. I prefer "namespace".

Cheers,

--
mike