Re: No more mail notification from savannah?

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: No more mail notification from savannah?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 09:35:00 +0200

Am 06. Juni 2020 um 12:55 Uhr schrieb "Markus Mützel":
> In the meantime, I got a response from savannah support. And with the help of
> the message Dmitri sent (thanks for that), they could find the relevant part
> of their logs:
> > Jun  3 10:58:07 frontend1 postfix/cleanup[32065]: DD8F920DA8:
> > message-id=<20200603-145807.sv7043.1460@savannah.gnu.org>
> > Jun  3 10:58:09 frontend1 postfix/smtp[32068]: DD8F920DA8:
> > to=<markus.muetzel@gmx.de>, relay=mx01.emig.gmx.net[212.227.17.5]:25,
> > delay=1.8, delays=0.05/0.03/1.1/0.55, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
> > mx01.emig.gmx.net[212.227.17.5] said: 554-Transaction failed 554-Reject due
> > to policy restrictions. 554 For explanation visit
> > https://www.gmx.net/mail/senderguidelines?ip=209.51.188.72&c=hi (in reply
> > to end of DATA command))
>
> I contacted GMX support with that information. Their support staff informed
> me about recent changes on their side to enforce stricter compliance of mail
> headers to "their rules" to reduce the number of spam.
> But unfortunately, he couldn't tell me for which exact reason this message
> was blocked. He told me that the staff at their "postmaster" would be able to.
>
> The GMX support staff asked me to go back to savannah support and asked them
> to file a black listing issue with GMX postmaster:
> https://postmaster.gmx.net/en/blacklisting
>
> Even if that contact form is for the opposite way (mails from GMX being
> blocked by other servers), the support staff assured that it is the correct
> way to contact them for this kind of error as well. Let's hope, he is right.
>
> So this is the current state: Savannah support members offered to get in
> direct contact with GMX and I asked them to do this via GMX's contact form.
>
> Let's hope both parties will be able to figure out who needs to change what
> to resolve the current issue.
>
> I'm hoping that resolving this for me will also resolve it for you. The
> service charges for their FreeMail customers are ridiculously high.
> Fortunately, my contract allows me to get free support.

After some forth and back, I finally got a response from GMX's postmaster team:
They say the notification mails are blocked by their system because the "From",
"To", and "Sender" fields in the mail header are not correctly encoded
(according to RFC 2047 [1]).

Savannah admins are checking if they can change that.

Markus

[1]: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2047