Re: Tablicious in Octave Forge [was: Re: [GSoC 2021] How should I do now

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Tablicious in Octave Forge [was: Re: [GSoC 2021] How should I do now with project Table datatype]
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 13:20:51 +0900

On 3/9/21 5:58 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:

On 3/8/21 11:13 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
On 3/8/21 6:51 PM, 陈栋林 wrote:
I have seen that you are the potential mentors in the project Table datatype. How should I do now with this project for applying gsoc? How can I make my first contribution? Thank you

Thank you for your interest in GSoC with Octave.  Yes, I am willing to mentor a project on creating a Matlab compatible table datatype [1].

Since we're on the subject...

I know there hasn't been much enthusiasm for this in the past, but is there any chance I could get y'all interested in including Tablicious [1] in Octave Forge as an "External" package? Even if table arrays make it in to core Octave from the GSoC work, I think Tablicious could be useful as a transitional package or to support older versions of Octave (which I think are still in kind-of wide use?). And it also provides datetimes, categoricals, and (half-assed) string arrays.

Cheers,
Andrew

Thank you for your offer to support the GSoC project =)

Your tablicious package is indeed very useful. I can offer you to obtain the necessary rights to access of what is left abandoned of the Octave Forge (OF) website and make any necessary changes to add your package there. Just tell me your SourceForge username.

If you have figured out a working procedure how to add a new package, please document it in the wiki [2] including a time estimate.

It is not like nobody wants to see your package on OF, but all the admins having the time and knowledge how to do it without breaking the current design, etc. are no longer active.

Kai

[1] https://github.com/apjanke/octave-tablicious
[2] https://wiki.octave.org/Reviewing_Octave_Forge_packages#Admin_tasks
[3] https://gnu-octave.github.io/pkg-index/package/tablicious