pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Have you ever used pan to download and display yEnc enco

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Have you ever used pan to download and display yEnc encoded messages?
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 14:38:29 +0100

[ I'm resending my message without attachments, because it didn't show
up in the archive. Probably because the attachments are too big for the
list, or moderation checks ]

On Sat 13 Mar 2021 at 16:32:28 -0800, Rickbrown wrote:
> From what I read here; none of us successfully used pan to view a yEnc
> message.

Why would you write such a thing? Please stop spreading FUD.
Pan's yEnc decoding works in general just fine. I even described so in
the article you're replying to.

Of course one can always find cases that don't work as expected. That
can happen for any number of reasons, for example the downloader doesn't
know what they are doing, or the poster doesn't know what they are
doing, or files got corrupted in transport, or parts are missing, or the
poster is posting gibberish, or lots of other things.

The problem with the railways group is that different people's ISPs
don't seem to have the same articles still present in them. That makes
it impossible to analyze the example that was given.

Let's go to a group which is hopefully less obscure, say
alt.binaries.pictures.wallpaper. It contains wallpapers a.k.a. desktop
backgrounds. It has a few tens of posts per day so your ISP should show
some.

[ I left these out now... ]
I'm attaching 2 screenshots: one from the article overview, and one
where I'm reading an article. The picture is shown inline. These are
low-quality JPEGs (to save some space).
I'm also attaching the full image as downloaded; this is nearly 300 KB.

> I did run uudeview over a full set of .msg files from a header and it
> appeared to yield the 'attchments' file. I have found no documentation of
> that file.

If you get a bunch of .msg files, then you most likely did the saving of
the articles wrong: you have "Action: Save text" instead of "Action:
Save attachments". You could also have "Action: Save attachments and
text" in which case the attachments get decoded but you also get the
.msg files.

> I'll ask again to see if I can find a successful somebody

No need.

> -Rick
-Olaf.
--
___ Q: "What's an anagram of Banach-Tarski?"  -- Olaf "Rhialto" Seibert
\X/ A: "Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski."         -- rhialto at falu dot nl