[Paparazzi-devel] Very general question about technical choices.

From: Denis BEURIVE
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Very general question about technical choices.
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:17:24 +0200

Hello,

I just discover the Paparazzi project.

I've studied the system. I also studied other similar projects. And I have a general question:

Paparazzi, and other systems, uses microcontrolers. I suppose that this choice is based on weight and electricity consumption.

My question is:

Would it be possible to use some hardware that supports a classic operating system?

For example:

=> The electricity consumption is higher.
=> The weight is higher.

But, the system should be much more flexible.

I guess that this kind of solution is suitable for bigger aircraft. But, in the future, computers will become even smaller... The use of some specific hardware and low level code, won't be necessary anymore.

What is your opinion?

Thank you. And, please, apologize for my English. I tried to make it as good as I can, but it could be improved.

Denis