RE: [Paparazzi-devel] Strange Surging Behavior

From: jlastuka
Subject: RE: [Paparazzi-devel] Strange Surging Behavior
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:31:04 -0600

Yves, Felix, and Jon,

You guys were indeed correct! When I power my servos externally everything seems to work great! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out, I would not have figured that one out on my own.

What is the simplest / least weight causing way to wire the servos externally? I just used a battery pack with 4 AAs, but I don't want extra weight. Also, I am not familiar with what BEC stands for... perhaps that would clear things up!

Thanks again,
Jeff

Quoting "Yves Touchette" <address@hidden>:

There has been many discussions about this, but it doesn't look like lthere is alot of documentation about this in the wiki.

The usual approch is to use a ESC with a good (Switching) BEC to power the servo. As other have indicated, your datalink modem may also use a good chunk of the power that your auto pilot can provide.

Keep in mind that the ground from the BEC and the ground from your AP is already the same (assuming you are using a single battery). Therefore you do not need to connect the ground of your BEC to your AP (you'll create a ground loop).

-yvest