Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa PCB pool

From: Chris Gough
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa PCB pool
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:49:35 +1100

> But if you have ideas how we can improve the access to Lisa/L earlier then
> our current schedule, please feel free to share them.

If we can pool PCBs, why couldn't we pool fully assembled autopilots?
It's a bit more complicated, but imagine if you will...

Phase 1 - expressions of interest.
A swarm "opens" for a few weeks. During this time, people can sign-up
and indicate their interest by nominating the maximum price they would
be willing to pay (and quantity they want), for estimated delivery in
say ~3 months. The tester and acceptance criteria are spelled out too
(re: phase 5), along with the other important details.

Phase 2 - competitive tender.
At the cut-off date, the swarm "closes" for new members, and the
expressions of interest are aggregated into a request for quote (with
a few sensible quantities, e.g. 50%, 75% and 100% of the sum of
indicated quantities?). These are sent to various manufacturers, and
everyone in the swarm can see their responses. Anyone in the swarm can
identify potential manufacturers from whom quotes are requested, the
whole thing is transparent and open (to swarm members, not necessarily
public domain).

Phase 3 - commitment/escrow.
If there is at least one satisfactory quote, the best one is chosen
(by ballot?), and swarm members have the option to buy-in. They do
this by putting the money into escrow with a 3rd party (who? details
specified in phase 1). If not enough people commit before a certain
date the whole thing folds, and the escrow party issues refunds (less
presumably small fee for escrow service).

Phase 4 - purchase.
Assuming the swarm raised sufficient capital, a work order is placed
with the factory that provided the best quote. They make the stuff and
send it to the guy in phase 5. It might be necessary to pay a deposit,
but as much of the money as possible stays in escrow until acceptance
testing. This is something the manufacturer agreed to when they sent
the quote.

Phase 5 - receiving.
Someone trusted by the swarm (and nominated in phase 1) receives the
goods and tests them. If the tests pass, the manufacturer is paid in
full and the process goes on to step 6. If there are issues, then a
discussion/vote decides what to do, it's possible that the
unacceptable goods are returned to the factory and the swarm folds
with partial refund. There is a fair and reasonable payment for this
acceptance testing work (regardless of the outcome), also nominated up
front when the swarm was open.

Phase 6 - disbursement.
Assuming the goods are accepted, the stuff get's packed and sent (by
the guy in phase 5). The end.

I think collaboratively procured open source hardware is the way of
the future <twitch> the way of the future. I actually don't need any
Lisa/L myself right now, but I'd buy some just to see it in action.

Chris Gough