Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Git messed up?

From: Ben Laurie
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Git messed up?
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 10:51:51 +0000

On 15 December 2013 21:58, Christophe De Wagter <address@hidden> wrote:
> if you rebase a branch in which you often pulled master, it is normal that
> you get LOADS of merge conflicts, because your branch already has the same
> information as master (you pulled) but each commit in your branch that is in
> master has a different hash (not same parent-child since your commits are in
> between and might change the meaning of the commit) ...

That isn't what I do, though - I always rebase my branch on master
(note: this means no-one should try to use my branches on github, or
there'll be a terrible mess!).

In fact, it seems the issue is that my branch was based on
f5704110365492836cbbff7b39908eb5bcac3951, which, if you look at
history, was one of several branches that later got merged. The
following pair of rebases untangles everything and patches completely
cleanly (basically, first rebasing to where all the branches started
from, and then rebasing to the head):

git rebase --onto a0fcc68b7ea4de34eb224829a7abdf1a44bf5074
f5704110365492836cbbff7b39908eb5bcac3951
git rebase master

Slightly surprised that git can't figure that out for itself.