paragui-dev

[paragui-dev] CVS tree doesn't build - what version to develop against?

From: Phillip Jordan
Subject: [paragui-dev] CVS tree doesn't build - what version to develop against?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:07:54 +0100

Hi,

We're intending to use ParaGUI for the pre-game GUI in our project
'Hostile Takeover'. For this, I need to make a few modifications to fit
our needs, such as creating another widget and such.

However, the latest source release, 1.1.8 seems to have a couple of
severe bugs, which cause some of the test programs to segfault. (run
them in Valgrind and be very very afraid...)
Clearly, I wouldn't want to build our game on top of something that's
known to be broken, so I checked out the CVS tree to see whether any of
it was fixed there, but I've just given up trying to compile it, after
fixing one compile error just triggered another one a couple of lines
later, which had me busy for about an hour with no notable success.

The file that's been causing most of the compilation errors,
'include/pgsignals.h', was last modified more than half a year ago,
according to

http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewcvs/paragui/include/pgsignals.h?rev=1.8&root=paragui&view=log

which raises the question of the extent to which ParaGUI is still
maintained? Is there a CVS revision I can check out which is known to be
reasonably stable and at least actually works, or should I just stick
with fixing and then extending 1.1.8? Or even something from the 1.0.x tree?

I was planning to roll any fixes or enhancements back into the official
tree (where desired by the maintainers) but given how much seems to have
changed since 1.1.8, I doubt that would work unless I kept up to date
with CVS.

Is there something I've missed concerning the compilation errors? It
fails right near the start of pgsignals.h because a bunch of things
haven't been declared or defined. Some of it is commented out, but
re-enabling that code just causes further errors, etc.

Thoughts? Recommendations? ParaGUI seems great in terms of feature set
and quality of the documentation, though I've spent quite a lot of time
trying to get it to actually work so far, with limited success...

~phil