paxutils-forum

Re: Supporting arbitrary file attributes

From: Joerg Schilling
Subject: Re: Supporting arbitrary file attributes
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 16:35:00 +0200 (MEST)

>From address@hidden Sun Mar 31 15:12:07 2002

>> >Not as far as I know.  Nobody has had the time to work on this stuff yet.
>>
>> Well star  ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/star/alpha/

>Sorry, I'd forgotten about star's efforts in this area.  Does star
>address all the issues he mentioned?  For example, what does it do for
>ACLs on a Linux box?

As currently ACLs are not an official part of the Linux kernel, I can
only speak about the most popular attempt to support ACLs on

http://acl.bestbits.at/

As you may read inside the star sources, all implementations
which are close to the last POSIX ACL draft will work.

Adding ACL support to the star POSIX.1-2001 extended header framework
was a one week issue (for Linux and Solaris).

Joerg

 EMail:address@hidden (home) Joerg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       address@hidden           (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       address@hidden           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling