pem

Re: [Pem] [GNU PEM] Fake date feature

From: For anything and everything about GNU Pem
Subject: Re: [Pem] [GNU PEM] Fake date feature
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 18:49:21 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Matthieu

> On Thursday, 12 November 2015 8:05 PM, For anything and everything about GNU
> Pem wrote:
> I have a request for a new feature: a fake date system. That idea came
> to my mind because of laziness. From time to time, I dont want to
> register a new expense and plan to do it the day after. When comes the
> day after, I register it, but this expense get a wrong timestamp. A
> single day is not a big deal, but I figured out today that I got lazy
> for the last couple of months... So it could be nice to have something
> like:
> pem -F 28/08/2015 ThatOldExpenseIForgotAbout 10
> where '-F' stands for '--fake-date' or something similar.
>
> My first solution for the problem so far was to use 'date' program to
> get a timestamp from a date and register manually my expenses in the
> '~/.pem' tree... So yesterday I got into the code, learnt a bit about
> perl, and get the feature. The problem is that I learnt perl yesterday,
> so my solution is... well... missing of beautiness. (If you want to
> review my code, I would be glad to send you a patch)
>
> Do you plan to have such a feature for the next pem version?

    Thank you so much for using GNU Pem and going an extra mile to learn Perl
and write a patch. That's truly inspiring; I appreciate it.

If I understand correctly, the proposed feature would help to log an old
expense at an old date and thus maintain the desired chronological order in the
log, right?

This feature has come up numerous times in the past. But in my honest opinion,
it digresses from the intended purpose of GNU Pem, which is to help track daily
income and expenses. The ideal chronological order is expected to come from its
daily usage, which also helps to build the personal discipline. The proposed
feature focuses more on the chronological order of the entries, than the
knowledge of income & expenses. I think the proposed feature would only add
undue complexity to the code and also come in the way of building daily
discipline.

I'm sorry to say this, but I do not plan to add this feature to GNU Pem.

> First of all, thank you for this amazing tool!
> I use it every day for my personal income/expense tracking, and it is
> really easy to use. I really like it: a simple tool for a simple task.
> Thank you again for this amazing tool!

  Thank you so muchfor the kind words; I really appreciate it!

Thank you.

---Regards
   -P J P
http://feedmug.com